Pages

11.08.2011

The Magic Kitchen Rug


Almost every day, I stand on my kitchen rug, at the sink, and do a pile of dirty dishes.  Those who know me, know that I don't normally enjoy this task.  However, here and there, while scrubbing off spaghetti sauce and scraping dried cheese, I have a moment when my thoughts flow freely and I am able to reflect on life. 

My husband loves the show Aladdin and for some reason yesterday morning at the sink, that is what I was thinking about.  I turned on the song "A Whole New World" and as I listened to the words, I couldn't help but think of how it related a little bit to Motherhood.  Cheese, soooo cheesy, I know!  But this part... "A hundred thousand things to see! ...Hold your breath, it gets better."  It reminds me of the advice I hear all the time... "Enjoy it because it goes by so fast!"  (maybe because I need to hear it?)

Standing on that little kitchen rug, my eyes where opened to a "new fantastic point of view", and I am reminded what a magical ride a mother and wife's life can be.


Yes!  I am one of those kids who grew up watching Disney Movies...and I'm proud of it!

2 comments:

Brianna Tuckett said...

I TOTALLY grew up watching Disney movies and will proudly admit it and quote them right along with you!! It's so funny how the simplest things can change in our lives to have a greater meaning and be more to us at different times in our lives. Love the new perspective Laura :)

Trapper and Suzy said...

Aladdin is my FAVORITE Disney movie. That song is a great analogy to parenthood. I also wanted to say that I remember doing dishes without a dishwasher when I was younger and the only thing I loved about it was that it was kind of therapeutic to be able to stand there and think. Of course, that was the only thing I liked about it. hehe